![]() |
| S.L.O.W.L.Y., Joining These Blocks Into Rows |
Of course, at this pace, it's going to take me a full HOUR just to pin two complete rows together before I can stitch them. That means I have five hours of pinning to look forward to... That is Downstairs On the Sofa Watching Evening Television work for sure. But it feels good to walk into the studio in the morning and have things all pinned together and ready to sew.
![]() |
| Diagonal Pins Fight With Feed Dogs |
I have been sitting on these two charity quilt tops that I offered to quilt for my church for months now. Well, to be more precise, I've been alternating between procrastinating, panicking, and fighting with them. These quilt tops were challenging for me because:
- The piecing and pressing weren't as accurate as what I'm used to with tops I've pieced myself.
- Both quilt tops and one of the backings were made of bed sheets and other tightly wove, non-traditional quilting fabrics that contributed to excessive needle flex/directional tension issues.
- I'm still such a beginner with my longarm machine, fumbling along and learning as I go.
- I opted to load both of these 60" 80" bed quilts sideways so I could quilt the edge-to-edge pantographs in fewer passes, with fewer stops to advance the quilt, baste the sides, and reposition the laser -- but that meant I had LONG rows to quilt in a single pass. As a newbie, those long passes of quilting were tiring, so I might have been better off loading the quilts along the short sides instead.
![]() |
| Church Charity Quilt No. 1 of 2, With Bed Sheet Backing |
![]() |
| Church Charity Quilt No. 2 of 2 Completed! |
![]() |
| 60 x 80. My Quilting Looks So Much Better From a Distance... |
![]() |
| Much Better Stitch Quality on the Backing Side on Quilt No. 2 |
![]() |
| Wobbly Quilting Camouflaged By Busy Print |
![]() |
| Following Pantograph Pattern From Back of My Machine |
Supposedly the smaller APQS size L "Smart Bobbin" (the size for which my machine is currently configured -- it's the same size as the bobbins for my Singer Featherweight machines) enables me to use a greater variety of specialty threads without any issues. Because Physics and Inertia, Blah Blah Blah. However, reviews from APQS owners who have the larger M style bobbin configuration are not reporting any regrets or remorse, and their bobbins hold twice as much thread as mine do. I believe I can order a kit from APQS for my 2013 Millenium that would allow me (and by "me," I mean my husband) to switch out the hook system to the larger M bobbins, fairly inexpensively -- and if I didn't like the larger bobbin/hook system, we could just change it back again. Seriously considering that.
But MEANWHILE, my quilting frame is not remaining empty for long, because another (much more manageable!) quilt is getting loaded today!
![]() |
| This Week's Goal: Charlotte Quilter's Guild Outreach Quilt |
![]() |
| 33 x 41 CQG Outreach Quilt is Next On the Frame |
I'm linking up with:
- Needle and Thread Thursday at www.myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.com
- • Finish It Up Friday at www.sillymamaquilts.com
- • Whoop Whoop Fridays at www.confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com
- • Finished Or Not Friday at www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com
- • TGIFF Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday, hosted this week at www.prettypiney.com











0 Yorumlar